Advent at St. Alphonsus Church:
Advent begins December 1st! Additional Masses for the Advent Season will be on Thursday mornings at 8:15 am in addition to our regularly scheduled weekly Masses. Our Advent Novena begins on Tuesday, December 17th at 7 pm. It will be held at Sacred Heart Church in Elsberry. December 18th - 22nd it will be held at St. Alphonsus Church in Millwood. The final Novena will be on Monday, December 23rd at Sacred Heart in Elsberry. There will be a Penance Service offered December 18th following the Novena at 7:30 pm at St. Alphonsus. Confessions will be offered again on Saturday, December 21st from Noon - 1:30 pm.
Christmas Masses at St. Alphonsus this year are: 5 pm on Chrismas Eve and 10 am on Christmas Day
ST. ALPHONSUS SCHOOL'S CHRISTMAS PROGRAM:
"BED, BETHLEHEM AND BEYOND"
7 PM AT THE KNIGHT OF COLUMBUS HALL IN MILLWOOD - ALL ARE WELCOME!
St. Alphonsus Catholic School has a history of over 150 years of Catholic Education. Generations of families have passed through our school doors. We provide a quality education for students in Kindergarten through 8th Grade. Our Kindergarten program is an all-day program. Before and After School care is available.
St. Alphonsus Preschool Program is available for children ages 2 years to 5 years of age.
PRESCHOOL TUITION INFORMATION
St. Alphonsus is here to:
- Educate children in academics and Catholic doctrine with the view of the whole person.
- Inspire the students to respect all of God’s creations, accept responsibility, and develop a spiritual life.
- Develop a Christian community in the school.
- Motivate the students to care for and serve others within and outside the community through learning and prayer.
- St. Alphonsus Catholic School is rooted in faith, education, and leadership.
School Programs & Offerings
· Accredited Non-Public School with a 10 to 1 student ratio and certified teachers
· Free and Reduced Hot Lunch Program
· Bus Service (Restrictions apply)
· After School Care up to age 12 (Provided by St. Alphonsus Preschool)
· State of the art computer lab
· Student computers in each classroom, plus Smart Boards
· Sports Program (Soccer)
· Member of the Bellarmine Speech League
· Accelerated Reader Program
· AHA Math Program
· Starfall Learning Program
· Character Plus Program
· Catholic Family Services Counseling
· Student Council
· Washington D.C. Pro-Life Trip (7th and 8th Grades, odd years)
· Camp Wyman (5th and 6th Grades, odd years)
· Art, Music, P.E., Computer, and Guidance classes
· 2nd Grade students receive the sacrament of Reconciliation and First Communion each year.
· Sacrament of Confirmation received by 7th and 8th graders every odd year.
St. Alphonsus School has a Soccer Program and a Basketball Program. Soccer season runs September through early November. Fees are $30 per child or $75 per family. Sign ups for soccer begins in May, and sign ups for basketball begins in October. Soccer is a co-ed program. Games are played in Winfield and Elsberry. Students in grades 5 - 8 may also play with the Silex School District teams through the MSSHA program.
St. Alphonsus Parish was established in 1848 in the area of the Forks of the Cuivre River. The first church was a log building measuring 34x46 feet and was built by the first Catholic settlers of this area under the direction of Judge Henry Mudd, the first Catholic settler. The first resident pastor, Father Daniel Lyne, arrived in 1850 and built the first brick church for the 40 families.
The present church is the fifth church for the parish and seats 300 people. Many parishioners are descendants of those first 40 families.
We strive to have daily mass for our faithful. During the school year, our full time students come to mass twice a week. Throughout the year, we have instructions for those wishing to become Catholic or learn more about the Catholic Church.
In the Spring and Fall of the year, we hold a Sausage Dinner. These dinners become almost a homecoming for the many families who have relatives and friends from outside the area that come and share a meal. In the summer, our Knights of Columbus hold their annual picnic.
In 2008, the Knights of Columbus built a new hall. The hall is a single level hall that holds over 300 people. It includes a modern kitchen and a nice sized meeting room. It is available for rent to the public.
Mass Times are :
Saturday - 5 pm
Sunday - 10 am
Monday - 12 pm
Wednesday - 8:15 am followed by Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament (Adoration is all day until 7 pm in the chapel.)
Friday - 8:15 am
The Rosary is prayed each week day after the masses.
Pastor: Rev. Charles Tichacek
Rectory Phone: (573) 384-6223
School Advisory Board
The St. Alphonsus School Advisory Board consists of the Pastor, Principal, Preschool Director, and 8 parish/school family members. 6 members are elected and serve 3 year terms. 2 members are appointed by the pastor and serve 2 year terms.
Jennifer Eggemeyer, Tracie Grasso - Secretary, Mandy Gruenewald, Jason Lebegue - President, Dennis Miller, Linda Miller, Stephanie Freymuth, and Tim Thoroughman - Vice President
PTA meetings are held in September (2nd Tuesday), November (1st Tuesday), February (1st Tuesday), and April (1st Tuesday) and begin at 6:30 pm in the school cafeteria. One parent from each family is required to attend.
2013-2014 Officers are: President - Wendy Boenker; Vice President - Betty Zuroweste ; Secretary - Frances Lebegue; and Treasurer - Christy Peasel
St. Alphonsus School
25 St. Alphonsus Road
Silex MO 63377
Fax (573) 384-6190